hedgehog – 05

final image, yippie 🙂 rendered over 2 hours with only 200 passes… lol… and, as you can see, the placement of the leaves has changed. i decided to place them by hand, these are more than 800 leaves, to get a good volume of the heap… but, this way, i could better control that the leaves do not intersect. some still may do, but not as many as in the simulation… final compositing in photoshop. i hope you like my little friend 🙂

hedgehog_07

Advertisements

hedgehog – 04

i started to make a terrain, and a series of leaves. and then tried my hand at a simulation to let the leaves fall around the hedgehog.. this is still not exactely as i wanted, but gives the overall direction. … it might have been quicker to manually place the leaves… lol… and maybe i will do this in the end, for full control.. lol

hedgehog_06

hedgehog – 03

today, i present you my progress, after i have put more than 8 hours into it,,and… it looks like one of these double images, you can find in print magazines, where on first glance both images look the same, but the title says “find the 9 differences”. and then you take a closer look, and notice, for example, at the puppies leg is in one image only one blossom in the other two… well, here is my image, if you like compare with that from the previous post… 😉

hedgehog_04

as i said, more than 8 hours work in that starting from the last one posted… and this is why:

hedgehog_05

blender is wonderful, when you consider what you can do with it, but, it is not artist friendly, not the overly complex ui, and not what the viewport shows. how the hell do the developpers think, one can comb the hair, when these wiggly strands not show the size and not even the real placement in rendering… so, what i had to do, to comb the transitions of the different hairsystems is the following: select the hairsystem i want comb, go to particle edit, comb a little (without really seeing what this does to the hair) then exit particle edit, make a testrender. try to memorize which of the strokes were good and which not, go back to particle edit, comb again to improve, back to object mode, testrender… and, as you see in this image, i colorized the hair systems differntly in the viewport, as i thought this will help. but in many places the color appears black (none of the hairsystems is colored black, of course… while this helps a little, to not get lost in all this mess in the viewport, it could be much better,,, you see, using blenders great viewport presentation, it easily takes 8 hours, just to comb the transitions of the differnt hair types… and, it still does not completely look as i wanted to have it… but, i will now first make the pose, and composition for the final image, maybe later i make some more 8 hour tweaks on the hairs… oh, just a remark for greg: the red lines are the hairs that render as spines…

hedgehog – 02

combing a hedgehog is kind of fun, in particulary, due to a mathematical theorem it cannot be done without bald spots, so it is always an excuse if it does not get completely right…lol…
getting better, but still lots of tweaking necessary: (all materials are completey procedural, so far)

hedgehog_02

hedgehog – 01

today, i show the first progress image of the animal that was shown for guessing in its skeletal form. and, now it is easy to see that this will become a hedgehog, even though he just has its spines and no fur yet. a thank you to anja and jacob for participating in this little quiz, it was fun for me too 🙂

hedgehog_01