gargoyle – 7 – new render

motivated by some comments at zbrush central, i decided to go the extra round with this gargoyle, and create a proper texture for him, making him look more real 🙂

Advertisements

gargoyle – 6 – final image

ok, here he is, “the new gargoyle on the roof”, scene and materials set in blender, rendered with cycles … i hope you like it…

and, as this was so motivating for me during the sometimes quite difficult work on the gargoyle, i wish to thank all my readers that supported me during the process by clicking the “like” button, and thus encouraged me to go on. thank you 🙂

gargoyle – 5

geez – this project is far more work than i had expected 🙂 … so, what happened today ? i went over all subtools and refined them. made also a new base with the curve-lathe brush in zbrush. that was fun. after that i used transpose on the lowpoly basemesh to reposition the feet and claws to make them look convincingly on that new base. here it really paid off that i had started with a decent lowpoly mesh and used the subdividing method for sculpting rather than dynamesh, as the body mesh is rather highpoly now, and moving, or bending, such a highpolymesh would have been at least tedious, if not impossible …
now, its almost done, some details are missing, and then the final render to make it look like a real stonecarved gargoyle sitting on a roof 🙂 i am looking forward to that 🙂

gargoyle – 3

today i am showing a series of steps i did to progress with my gargoyle :
1) created the final pose, and refined the basemesh
2) subdivided once and refined more, mainly defined muscle volumes and tried to indicate bones where they are visble at the surface (knee for example). it is still rough, but showing enough to progress with
3) zspheres for one wing
4) zsketching over the “wing frame” to get a volume for the wing
5) making an adapive skin from that, and
6) dynameshed and smoothed it
now the basic form for the wing is there, it still needs refinement.

gargoyle – 2

when i started the project, i intended to just do a portrait shot, but now i decided to do instead a full body, as i feel this will be quite fun, and secondly, i feel a little rusty on the other zbrush tools available, so doing a complete gargoyle will let me revisit these features…
so, i first made a zsphere skeleton for the intended pose of the body, then skinned it, and began pushing around the polygons, to get the volumes necessary at least indicated. this is my crude basemesh i am starting from, the topology given from the zspheremesh is not perfect, but i think it will do (hopefully)…

oh, btw, the podest underneath has a technical purpose, and as i never have seen this little tip on the internet, i share it here : when sculpting in zbrush an odd feature is, that the mesh has no fixed coordinate system, so the floor is all the time aligning itself to the lowest point in the mesh. this makes it quite hard to get the feet all stay on the same plane, when working on the toes say : as soon as a polygon from the toes get to be the lowest part of the mesh, the whole floor goes down, making it hard to judge now how much you have to move up that polygon again to make it level to the feet… having the podest underneath this problem vanishes, as the podest is a different subtool that will not be edited 🙂

gargoyle – 1

for the weekend i choose something unusual for me, but still it is related to architecture, and thus art 🙂 i am trying to create a gargoyle, a grotesque creature, as they were used on buildings to “hide” an armature to guide water away from the building … here is the first step, building the basemesh to find the design (i am using different reference fotos of existing gargoyles, to stay within a believable form). the mesh is very light still, only 2500 polys…